Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
When you’ve been a Wellness Mama reader for some time, you in all probability know that I’m fascinated by dental health. The standard recommendation is to make use of fluoride toothpaste to harden tooth (and forestall cavities) and to make use of a whitening toothpaste to take care of yellowing tooth. However I used to be not satisfied that this was the one (or finest) option to go together with defending my household’s dental well being.
Then I found the advantages of hydroxyapatite, which is a fabric that may white and strengthen tooth. Quick ahead just a few years, and I made a decision to make use of hydroxyapatite as an ingredient in my very own line of pure toothpaste. For the reason that title sounds so uncommon, I assumed it was price explaining the advantages of this elaborate-sounding mineral and why I selected to incorporate it.
Let’s dive in!
What Is Hydroxyapatite?
Although the title is formidable to pronounce, it’s truly a quite simple materials. Hydroxyapatite (HAp) is a calcium phosphate that makes up human tooth and bones. Pure hydroxyapatite is white, which is why wholesome tooth seem white.
Lab-created hydroxyapatite (nano-hydroxyapatite — n-HAp) has a hexagonal construction and ratio of calcium to phosphate that’s equivalent to human bone and tooth. So, in contrast to some supplies which might be made in a lab, n-HAp is nearly as good as pure hydroxyapatite.
Hydroxyapatite can be probably the most steady type of calcium phosphate, which implies that it’s unlikely to succumb to decomposition processes like oxidation. That is one motive that it has been researched and used for quite a lot of medical makes use of.
Advantages of Hydroxyapatite
Hydroxyapatite is an attention-grabbing materials. In line with a 2019 examine, it has many advantages which make it a useful materials for medical and dental makes use of.
- Biocompatible & Bioactive – As talked about earlier, hydroxyapatite is biologically equivalent to the fabric that human bones and tooth are constructed from. Due to this hydroxyapatite just isn’t dangerous to human tissue. It additionally has a organic impact, which means it’s going to assist bones and tooth develop.
- Osteoconductive – Hydroxyapatite is also osteoconductive, which means bone can develop onto the floor of hydroxyapatite, aiding in repairing exhausting tissue within the physique.
- Non-Poisonous – Hydroxyapatite can be non-toxic and doesn’t trigger irritation. Alternatively, fluoride can be harmful.
- Anti-microbial – HAp can be antimicrobial, which can assist battle an infection and micro organism within the mouth, in response to a 2018 examine.
Researchers have identified for a very long time that HAp had these advantages. However with the development in nanotechnology, it has grow to be simpler to make n-HAp within the lab, making it extra out there to be used.
Makes use of of Hydroxyapatite
Due to HAp’s many chemical advantages, it has been researched and utilized in each anticipated and surprising makes use of.
Bone and Tooth Surgical procedure
As a result of HAp is what tooth and bones are constructed from, it is smart that it might assist restore them. However what’s actually attention-grabbing is that it may be used to assist the physique settle for implants. It does this by coating the implant. This coating makes the physique consider the implant is already a part of the physique.
Analysis revealed in 2006 backs up these makes use of. It additionally reveals that HAp can assist bone regrow, so it may assist restore damaged bones.
A ten-year assessment revealed in 1999 found that HAp is totally secure and continues to be a really efficient method to assist implants survive within the physique.
Dental Well being
Demineralization of the teeth can occur for a number of causes together with acidic meals and drinks, lack of ample saliva, and extra plaque. Hydroxyapatite makes up about 97 p.c of tooth enamel and 70 p.c of dentin (the layer underneath the enamel), so replenishing this materials is an effective way to assist help wholesome tooth. When utilized in toothpaste, nano-hydroxyapatite fils in gaps within the tooth, strengthening it.
A 2014 assessment discovered that n-HAp toothpaste has a “outstanding remineralizing impact” on tooth — considerably higher than fluoride.
The assessment notes that n-HAp additionally adheres to plaque and micro organism, making them much less problematic for tooth and that n-HAp helps ease sensitivity.
In line with a 2009 examine, HAp may even assist whiten tooth. Researchers conclude that it’s an amazing various to bleaching brokers. Contemplating yellow tooth are a results of demineralizing, it is smart that remineralizing might assist enhance the white look of tooth.
My whitening toothpaste accommodates hydroxyapatite for whitening and remineralizing tooth in addition to aloe and inexperienced tea to battle micro organism and unhealthy breath. We labored lengthy and with a staff of researchers and product scientists to develop a system even higher than my home made toothpaste recipes.
Environmental Makes use of
The primary makes use of of hydroxyapatite have been medical and dental, however there may be some analysis into different makes use of for this materials.
Air filters made with a mixture of hydroxyapatite and a pair of different chemical substances can assist soak up and decomposing carbon monoxide (CO) within the air.
Air high quality (especially indoors) is a serious concern for health-conscious households (together with mine!), so this analysis is welcome.
Moreover, it may assist to take away fluoride within the atmosphere by adsorbing it. Adsorbing is completely different than absorbing. Adsorbing implies that the fluoride attaches to the hydroxyapatite as a skinny movie across the outdoors. This helps take away the fluoride from the atmosphere. Contemplating fluoride could have surprisingly damaging results (like causing acne!), I’m at all times on the lookout for new methods to chop down on publicity.
Is Hydroxyapatite Secure?
Each the 2019 examine and the 10-year assessment talked about earlier discovered that there isn’t any concern about security with HAp when used within the methods defined above. Nevertheless, when used as a complement it might trigger negative effects similar to headache, dry mouth, frequent urination, fatigue, flushing or sweating, and abdomen discomfort.
Good factor everyone knows to not swallow our toothpaste!
My household makes use of hydroxyapatite in our toothpaste to assist remineralize and whiten our tooth naturally and we have now had an amazing expertise with it.
Hydroxyapatite: Backside Line
The technical title for this materials makes it a bit scary nevertheless it’s removed from dangerous!
- HAp is a secure and efficient ingredient in pure toothpaste (what I take advantage of it for) but in addition can be utilized for medical and environmental makes use of.
- Even when made in a lab, it’s secure, efficient, and bioactive.
- It may well truly instantly assist bone and tooth remineralize and regrow in some situations.
If you’re on the lookout for a substitute for fluoride toothpaste that really works, I extremely advocate utilizing a hydroxyapatite toothpaste like the one from Wellnesse.
This text was medically reviewed by Dr. Lauren Jefferis, board-certified in Inner Medication and Pediatrics. As at all times, this isn’t private medical recommendation and we advocate that you simply speak along with your physician or work with a physician at SteadyMD.
- Dan, P., Sundararajan, V., Ganeshkumar, H., Gnanabarathi, B., Subramanian, A. Okay., Venkatasubu, G. D., … Mohideen, S. S. (2019). Evaluation of hydroxyapatite nanoparticles – induced in vivo toxicity in Drosophila melanogaster. Utilized Floor Science, 484, 568–577. doi: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2019.04.120
- Seyedmajidi, S., Rajabnia, R., & Seyedmajidi, M. (2018). Evaluation of antibacterial properties of hydroxyapatite/bioactive glass and fluorapatite/bioactive glass nanocomposite foams as a cellular scaffold of bone tissue. Journal of Laboratory Physicians, 10(03), 265–270. doi: 10.4103/jlp.jlp_167_17
- Zhang, Y., Xu, H. H. Okay., Takagi, S., & Chow, L. C. (2006). In-situ hardening hydroxyapatite-based scaffold for bone repair. Journal of Supplies Science: Supplies in Medication, 17(5), 437–445. doi: 10.1007/s10856-006-8471-z
- Petit, R. (1999). The use of hydroxyapatite in orthopaedic surgery: A ten-year review. European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgical procedure & Traumatology, 9(2), 71–74. doi: 10.1007/bf01695730
- Pepla, E. (2014). Nano-hydroxyapatite and its applications in preventive, restorative and regenerative dentistry: a review of literature. Annali Di Stomatologia. doi: 10.11138/advertisements/2014.5.3.108
- Dabanoglu A, A. (2009). Whitening effect and morphological evaluation of hydroxyapatite materials. American Journal of Dentistry.
- Nasr-Esfahani, M., & Fekri, S. (2012). Alumina/TiO2/hydroxyapatite interface nanostructure composite filters as efficient photocatalysts for the purification of air. Response Kinetics, Mechanisms and Catalysis, 107(1), 89–103. doi: 10.1007/s11144-012-0457-x
- Pandi, Okay., & Viswanathan, N. (2014). Synthesis of alginate bioencapsulated nano-hydroxyapatite composite for selective fluoride sorption. Carbohydrate Polymers, 112, 662–667. doi: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2014.06.029